BatamTM, Alis' multilingual processing and
-- Make it simple ... to deal with the world!
Batam offers complete and instant linguistic compatibility
with Windows applications. The application becomes open
and multilingual without being restricted by Windows TM
versions since text entry, character sets, and display are
all handled by the library.
Based on Unicode TM, Batam accelerates delivery
for even a single localization, and the minimum effort invested
can immediately be reused for the next localization.
Batam performs much of its magic by replacing several
standard Windows API functions with fully multilingual equivalents
that your application calls up transparently.
Its functionality can be divided into five parts:
- Conversion of over 70 character
sets by the Florès
engine included in Batam
- Input functions (keyboards
and input methods)
- Processing functions (character,
word, and line boundaries, mouse selection, cut and paste,
- Multilingual display functions
- Multilingual replacements for
Windows interface components (menus,,/LI> buttons, text
Instant and complete character set support.
Batam is primarily made up of a DLL that is called by your
application and a set of associated files (character set
definitions, keyboard layouts, ancillary DLLs, etc.).
Batam provides three different interfaces: the APIs for
Win32 SDK, MFC and Delphi. Thus, any application designed
with one of these three interfaces benefits from Batam's
multilingual prowess. The standard functions of these APIs
for linguistic processing (display, GUI controls, keyboard,
etc.) are shunted to Batam by including a single file,
BATAM.PAS for Delphi applications).
Advantages of Batam:
- Internationalization of standard
- Minimal application modifications
(e.g. parsers unchanged)
- Compatible with language dependent
processes (line breaks, hyphens, word extraction,
- Easier and faster first localization
- Single source and single binary
for all language versions, if desired
- Simplified development, maintenance,
testing and distribution
- Platform independence (e.g.,
Japanese on US Windows, even Windows 9x!)
- Multilingual resources
- Adapted to multilingual environments
- Support for multiple simultaneous
- Uniform text model (no multiple
- Complete solution: fonts,
keyboards and input methods, conversions, etc..